August 28, 2017
Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies from the Wild Horse Inn
By: Erica Pratico
- 1 1/2 cups + 1 tbsp flour
- 1 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp Cocoa powder
- 1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp boiling water
- 7 oz. semisweet chocolate, cut into chunks
- Sugar for rolling
- In a medium bowls, sift together flour, spices and cocoa. In another bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until light, then add molasses.
- In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in boiling water and set aside. Beat half of flour mixture into butter mixture. Beat in baking-soda and water, then finish adding the flour mixture. Mix in chocolate. Turn dough onto plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment. Form 2-inch balls from the dough and roll in sugar, then place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Bake about 10-12 minutes, until the surfaces just begin to crack.
- Cool for 5 minutes on cookie sheets before transferring to cooling racks.