August 28, 2017
Blue Corn Crepes with Savory Asparagus Filling
By: Donna Culpepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup blue corn flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Blend the eggs, milk, water, flours, salt and melted butter until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour. You can make this batter ahead and keep for 24 hours.
- When you are ready to cook the crepes, heat a nonstick crepe pan until hot. Coat the pan lightly with butter and pour in 3 tbsp batter, rolling the pan to coat.
- Cook until almost dry on top and then flip the crepe, cooking the other side for about 15 seconds. Stack the crepes as you cook them.
- For the filling
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds asparagus spears, cut into 1" lengths
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp tarragon or thyme
- 1/2 julienned black forest ham
- Steam the asparagus until tender (5-7 minutes or so).
- Beat the egg, add the cheeses, garlic, parsley, tarragon and ham. Toss in the prepared asparagus.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of filling into a crepe and roll closed.
- Arrange the crepes in a baking dish. Bake until heated through and cheeses melt, about 10-15 minutes.
- Serve topped with sour cream and chopped fresh chives.